Thursday, April 10, 2014

Jensen's Birth Story

Decided I would capture Jensen's birth story here, as I'm a horrible journal keeper and this was one of the best days of my entire life.

Its weird how you have no idea how much your life is going to change the day you have your first child. And, I'm not talking about the endless poopy diapers, lack of sleep or not putting on makeup for the first six weeks kind of change. I'm talking about the crazy love and immense amount of joy that this little person brings into your life, your home, your marriage. It makes me cry just thinking about it. Welcoming a new person, a new soul, new spirit into this world is amazing and probably one of the most spiritual experiences I've ever had.

My due date was October 15th. Since I was already dilated to a 3 and almost completely effaced at my 37 week appointment, my Doctor told me he would induce me on the 10th, if I made it that far. Lucky me, I did.  This is me at about 38 weeks. I had Jensen 8 days after this photo was taken.

The night before my induction, I was so scared. And I have no idea why. Honestly, hospital things generally don't phase me, and I like to think I have a fairly high pain tolerance. But I couldn't get out of my mind the fear that something would go wrong. Brent gave me a beautiful blessing and from that moment on I felt so much better. I honestly slept better that night than I had in weeks.

We checked in to the hospital at 6:00 AM. We'd decided to deliver at Mountain View, because its far less busy than UVRMC and mainly because my mom is an RN there and used to work on the Labor and Delivery floor for 20 years. Lucky for us, all her nurse friends were anticipating our arrival and we received top notch treatment.

At 7:30 they hooked up an IV, checked me (I was dilated to 5 and a half centimeters) and started Pitocin to help my contractions regulate. Can I tell you, that I still had not felt pain and didn't even know I had been contracting? Yes, I know. Lucky girl.

Since I was strep b positive, they had to give me two doses of antibiotic before I could deliver. So they kept my pitocin low and had me finish up paperwork while I laid on the bed. At 9:30, they gave me an epidural. I still wasn't in any pain, but I wasn't taking any chances. I'd already hit my deductible for the year, so why go through pain if its free to be happy?

My doctor, Dr. Nance, came in at 10:00 and broke my water and the nurse started the second dose of antibiotic. When my Dr. came back to check me 45 minutes later I was a 9.5.  At 11:00, I was complete. The nurses wanted me to wait to push for another 15 minutes to make sure the antibiotic had gotten in my system.

At this point, I didn't realize I would be pushing soon. When Dr. Nance came back at 11:20 and said, lets get pushing, I was a little surprised. They got my bed ready, prepped me with instructions and I started pushing. 3 contractions and 5 minutes later, Jensen Tanner Staheli was here.

Seriously people. Best labor ever. Not once did I feel pain or have to push endlessly. I was so blessed to have such a calm, easy experience and I'm so grateful.

Now, Brent, - the anti-shot, easily queasy, hospitals make him lightheaded, doesn't do blood - husband of mine, he also did amazing. He even cut the cord.

This was my favorite moment. Brent meeting Jensen for the first time.

Thanks to my amazing sister in law Janae for capturing these beautiful pics. She does hospital/newborn and kid photos in Utah County if you ever need someone. You can check her stuff out at

No comments:

Post a Comment